Riverside Spousal Support Lawyer
Ironing out a fair alimony agreement can be a long, challenging process. Get the help of a Riverside spousal support attorney.
Divorce is nearly always an emotionally difficult time, and it can be tough to imagine what the future will hold. After filing the initial paperwork, the hard stuff has to be settled. You might be dealing with custody disputes if you have children, division of property, and alimony or spousal support for a dependent spouse.
Whether you will have to pay or receive spousal support depends on many factors, but a Riverside spousal support lawyer can help either way. The Law Office of Laurence J. Brock handles all types of family law cases, and with over twenty-five years of experience, we’ll handle your case with compassion and in-depth knowledge.
Are You Eligible for Spousal Support?
Determining the correct amount of alimony or spousal support can be a long and trying process. The courts must first determine that a spouse is in need of financial support.
A spouse may need support for a variety of reasons. He or she may care for a child, making it difficult to work a regular job, or he or she may have a disability that makes working impossible, for example.
The following are some of the items a California court will consider when determining whether a spouse is in need of financial support:
- One member of the relationship lacks sufficient property
- Whether you are unable to be self-sufficient because you provide care to a child or other dependent, which keeps you from getting a job
- You contributed to the education of your spouse
- The marriage lasted a long time, making you and your ex dependent upon one another
Calculating Alimony Payments
After the court has decided that a spouse is eligible to receive maintenance payments, it must then determine how much those payments will be and for how long they will continue. The court considers many factors when calculating fair spousal support payments.
Your Riverside alimony attorney will go over these items with you in great detail to be sure the payments are fair for both parties.
Here are some of the items the court considers when calculating spousal support:
- Your standard of living while married
- The length of your marriage
- Employment history, age, earning potential, and mental and physical health
- Comparative wages and earning potential of both spouses in the current employment market
- What the spouse requesting alimony sacrificed during the marriage for the other spouse, such as educational opportunities
- Any damages or judgments against either spouse
- The cost of the spouse seeking alimony to obtain insurance
- The ability of both members of the relationship to contribute to the educational costs of your children
Contact a Riverside Spousal Support Attorney
When you are dealing with a divorce, you need a compassionate, understanding attorney who will make the process move forward as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Whether you are being ordered to pay alimony or are in need of payment, call a Riverside spousal support lawyer at the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock. Each case is unique, and we will work with you and your individual circumstances. Call us at 909-466-7661 or fill out the form below for a free consultation.