Rialto Divorce Lawyer
Divorce is not an easy process, and failing to hire an attorney can cost you money, property, and even the custody of your kids. A separation of any sort is bound to be an emotionally turbulent time and will include a number of intricate details that all need to be sorted out.
You need someone who can help you strategize from the very beginning so that you can create a plan for a successful outcome. By working with a Rialto divorce lawyer from the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock, you can focus on your family and personal life, while we handle the legal issues.
Plan for Your Future with Help from a Rialto Divorce Lawyer
- Gathering three years’ worth of personal and business tax returns
- Securing copies of recent pay stubs for both you and your spouse
- Gathering three years’ worth of your asset statements, including investment accounts, CDs, IRAs, and the like
- Making copies of deeds or ownership documents to land, vehicles, boats, and any other personal property
- Gathering any other relevant financial or property documentation
After you have separated, your spouse may be unwilling to provide this information without being required to through interrogatories. Having copies on hand will make it easier for you to file when the time comes.
Individual vs. Joint Asset
When determining who gets what assets, the court generally considers everything you and your spouse possess to be marital property, or jointly owned by you both.
However, if you or your spouse owned a property or certain investment prior to getting married, these items could be considered individual or separate property. If you are concerned about protecting certain assets, consult with your Rialto divorce lawyer to develop a strategy for doing so.
Standard Custody Arrangements
There is no one-size-fits-all custody arrangement. Instead, custody will generally hinge on what the court feels will work best for your children. As time goes by and circumstances change, you may be able to renegotiate later.
For now, you need a Rialto divorce lawyer who can fight for your interests in order to maximize the time you have with your children.
Some typical custody arrangements are as follows:
- Children living with one parent during the week and every other weekend, while the second parent sees them at night for a couple of hours once or twice a week and also every other weekend
- Children spending half their week with one parent and then the other half of the week with the other parent
- Children spending the school year with one parent and the summers with the other parent
Get Your Questions Answered
Separating two lives is not easy, especially if you have a family business or children. It takes time and effort to reach a new place of normal. Your Rialto divorce lawyer will understand that, and it is why we will do everything possible to make the divorce go as smoothly as possible.