September 21, 2020

Ontario Grandparent’s Rights Lawyer

It’s important to maintain a bond with your grandchild, and you may have certain rights under California law. An Ontario grandparent’s rights attorney from the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock can help you determine your options.

In California, grandparents have certain rights to maintain a relationship with their grandchildren, especially in the event that visitation is suddenly ceased. If a bond already existed between the child and the grandparent, the grandparent can seek visitation rights under certain circumstances.

There are some caveats, though. If the parents of the grandchild are married and living together, for instance, the grandparent cannot petition the court for visitation rights. To get more information on your rights as a grandparent, call an Ontario grandparent’s rights lawyer at our firm to discuss your case.

When Can a Grandparent Seek Visitation in Ontario?

When the parents are married, they have the right to make decisions regarding their child, including whether to allow visitation with grandparents.

However, a grandparent can seek visitation with a child even when the parents are married—under certain conditions and only as long as the court deems the visitation to be in the best interests of the child. The following situations might apply:

  • If the parents are married but living separately
  • When one of the parents’ whereabouts have been unknown for at least one month
  • When the child doesn’t live with either parent
  • If one of the parents agrees that the grandparent should have visitation rights
  • When a stepparent has adopted the grandchild

The following are some other situations in which a grandparent in Ontario has the right to petition the court for visitation rights (if the parents are not married):

  • If one of the parents is incarcerated
  • If a parent is deceased
  • If one of the parents has substance abuse issues
  • If one of the parents has a history of domestic violence

Legal Help with Ontario Grandparent’s Visitation Rights

You probably wouldn’t be petitioning the court for the right to visit your grandchild unless you had good reason to do so. If you’re seeking custody of a grandchild, that can be a very difficult case to win, especially if you’re battling with a parent. However, nothing is impossible with the right legal help.

A family law attorney can assist you with petitioning the court for visitation. We can help with mediation, and we can offer legal advice when situations between grandparents and parents become contentious. Getting the visitation you want isn’t easy, though, so get in touch with a grandparent’s rights lawyer in Ontario.

Speak with an Ontario Grandparent’s Rights Attorney

Regardless of the reason you’re seeking visitation with or custody of your grandchild, an experienced lawyer can help you get what you’re looking for. Your attorney can help with mediation when appropriate, and we can give you legal advice so you will know your rights and what difficulties you might face.

Contact the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock today to discuss your case during a free consultation with an Ontario grandparent’s rights lawyer. Give us a call at 909-466-7661. You can also complete the form at the bottom of the page, and our office will contact you.

Start live chat with our team?