Ontario, CA Family Lawyer
While most people consider hiring a family lawyer when divorcing, this is not the only way that an attorney can assist you. Whether you and your spouse just want to take a break through a legal separation or you feel that you should be able to see your children more often, we can help you.
An Ontario, CA family lawyer can assist with any of the following family law situations:
- Custody cases
- Establishing parentage
- Making changes to child support
- And more
Contesting Child Support
During a divorce hearing that involves children, an order of child support will be set by the presiding judge. This determines how much child support will be allotted per child and what percentage of it will be assigned to each parent.
As life changes, these orders may become out of date or impossible for you to meet. Some of the reasons you can contest child support are as follows:
- Job Loss – Unemployment may mean paying child support is no longer an option. You cannot simply stop paying, however. Instead, you will need to go before a judge and request that your child support be either lowered or eliminated until you are back on your feet.
- Decreased Income – It may be possible to pay less in child support due to a decrease in your income.
- Remarriage – After remarrying, you or your ex may have additional income that could change the percentage each of you pay in child support.
- Additional Children – Additional children may qualify you for an offset in child support payments.
- New Medical or Educational Needs – If your child needs additional care due to medical reasons, such as a part-time care provider or regular physical therapy, or your child has specific educational needs, an agreement will need to be reached regarding who will pay for these expenses. This often requires going back to court.
Fight for Visitation
Whether you are divorced or were never married, if you want to see your child on a more frequent basis, you can fight for increased visitation rights with the help of an Ontario, CA family lawyer from our office. Even relatives like grandparents or prior step-parents can make a case for visitation rights.
Resolve Important Family Issues
There are times where parents simply cannot agree on key decisions, such as where to send a child to school. When this occurs, it can help to have an Ontario, CA family lawyer negotiate with the other parent on your behalf.
Mediation can also be helpful since it can be completed outside of court. Otherwise, if this is an issue that is important for your child, it may be worthwhile to request a court hearing and go before a judge.
Get the Help You Need from a Family Attorney
If you have questions about how to handle a family situation or need help with a divorce, custody case, or something similar, call 909-466-7661 to schedule an appointment with the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock. You can also make an appointment using our online form below.
During your meeting, our Ontario, CA family lawyer can answer any questions that you may have, provide you with sound legal advice, and work with you to create a plan for successfully resolving your legal issues.