August 05, 2020

Inland Empire Child Support Lawyer

If you are seeking an order for child support, want to have adjustments made to an existing order, or need help with enforcement, call the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock to speak with an Inland Empire child support lawyer as soon as possible.

Given how complex the court system can be, seeking or making changes to child support without an experienced family lawyer can be incredibly difficult.

Factors Influencing Child Support Payments

Whether you are going through a divorce or need to have child support established, there are several factors that the court will consider when determining what the child support payments should be, including all of the following:

  • How many children you have with the person in question
  • The amount of money you and the other parent make (To obtain this figure, the court may review tax returns and pay stubs.)
  • The needs of the child, including his or her ongoing education and medical expenses

A judge may allow for adjustments to be made to the support amount due to you or your ex having additional children. Inland Empire child support lawyer Laurence J. Brock can evaluate your situation and let you know what factors may be considered in your particular case.

Assigned Percentages

Once custody and visitation have been determined and the court has established the income amount for you and the other parent, a percentage of the child support will be assigned to each of you. For example, you may be responsible for 40 percent of the support while the other parent is responsible for 60 percent.

That percentage will be applied to the monthly amount that the court deems necessary for the child’s support. For example, if the court says that $1,000 a month is necessary to support your child, one of you would pay $400 while the other pays $600.

Those same percentages may also be applied for any irregular expenses that arise.

Adjusting Child Support Orders

It is possible to have child support obligations increased or decreased long after a divorce decree has been filed. However, the circumstances must warrant any change that is proposed. Some examples are listed below:

  • One parent losing his or her job
  • One parent’s income significantly increasing or decreasing
  • The child having unplanned education or medical expenses
  • The child wanting to take advantage of a particular opportunity that requires additional support

If you need to have an adjustment made to your order of child support, things become much easier when you have an Inland Empire child support lawyer handle the procedural challenges.

Collecting Child Support

If an order of child support has already been established by the court but you are having difficulty collecting it, your Inland Empire child support lawyer can file a contempt of court motion. This would allow you to ask the court to compel payment and assign penalties if the other parent does not comply.

It will be up to the judge to determine how to enforce the initial order.

Get Help from an Inland Empire Child Support Lawyer

Regardless of what child support issues you are struggling with, hiring an Inland Empire child support lawyer to represent you provides the best opportunity for resolving them. You can get the help you need from the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock by filling out the form below or calling 909-466-7661.

Start live chat with our team?