What Can Child Support in California Be Used For?
The purpose of child support is to provide for all the costs associated with raising a child in an appropriate manner. Kids aren’t cheap. They need the basic necessities of a safe home environment and physical care, of course, but there are many other costs of raising them.
Child support payments are usually provided to the parent the child spends the most time with. Both parents are considered responsible for financially supporting their child, but when one parent lives with the child more than the other, that parent may have the burden of providing more financial support for the child’s happiness and wellbeing.
Child support payments are meant to offset an unequal financial balance between the parents. But what exactly can child support payments be used for in California?
What Can You Use Child Support Payments For?
Ideally, all child support payments would go directly toward the care and support of the child and would not be used for any other reason. Here’s a look at what child support payments are meant to pay for:
- The Cost of School – School costs vary, but even with public schools, there are expenses, such as school supplies, field trips, school activities, and special events.
- Extracurricular Activities – Out-of-school activities are good for the wellbeing and health of children, but they nearly always have fees associated with them.
- Entertainment Activities – Basic entertainment costs are considered a part of raising a child, and although they’re not technically a necessity, the courts still deem entertainment important to a child’s wellbeing.
- Clothing – One of the more expensive costs of raising children is providing clothing for them because they constantly grow out of their clothes.
- Food – Child support can be used to purchase school lunches and groceries for the child.
- Shelter – Rent or mortgage payments can be made using child support.
- Utilities – Electricity, water, sewage, gas, and all other utilities can be paid using money from child support payments.
- Medical Care – All medical expenses for the child, including co-pays, medications, hospital bills, and more, can be paid with child support.
- Transportation Costs – Any costs associated with transporting the child, such as gas and vehicle maintenance, can be paid with child support funds.
- Child Care – The cost of caregiving services for the child while the parents are working can be paid via child support.
- College – Child support usually ends when the child is eighteen, but some college expenses can be paid for prior to the child’s eighteenth birthday.
Call a Child Support Lawyer in Rancho Cucamonga
If you have more questions about what child support in California can be used for, or if you would like to modify an existing child support agreement, speak with an attorney at our office. Your attorney will fight to protect your rights and to make certain that the child support agreement is fair for both parties.
To speak with an attorney from the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock, call 909-466-7661. You can also complete the contact form on this page. We will discuss your child support case with you during an initial consultation.