September 29, 2020

How to Get a Divorce from a Military Spouse 

If you are married to someone in the military, you already know that military marriages can be difficult. Military servicemembers are often away for extended periods of time. This can be hard on military families. Many different things could cause you to decide on a divorce. You might be wondering how to get a divorce from a military spouse.

Getting a Divorce from a Military Spouse

Obtaining a divorce is a little different if your spouse is in the military, especially if they are currently deployed or soon to be. Laws such as the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) protect military personnel from civil judgments while they’re away.

For instance, in a normal divorce, you could file divorce papers and have your spouse served. They would need to face the divorce and attend any related court hearings. With a military divorce, the person in the military can have court delayed until they are able to be present. This can delay court proceedings extensively.

There is also the issue of dividing marital property in a military divorce. The non-military spouse might be entitled to part of the military spouse’s pension. Assets, property, and debts will need to be split fairly, including some military benefits.

Another issue that comes up during military divorce is where to file your case. military families move a lot so it could be unclear how or where to file your case.

Connect with a Military Divorce Lawyer in Rancho Cucamonga

All of your questions related to filing for a divorce against a military spouse can be answered by a Rancho Cucamonga military divorce lawyer. You can learn more about how to get a divorce from a military spouse by calling The Law Office of Laurence J. Brock at 909-466-7661 or filling out the internet form below. 

Start live chat with our team?