May 28, 2020

How Can a Mother Lose Custody of Her Child in California?

If you are a parent going through a divorce, it’s only natural for you to worry about child custody issues. Most parents want what’s best for their child, and most parents think that they are good for their child. 

In most situations, the court wants both parents to be with their child as much as possible, so they won’t typically take custody away from one of the parents unless there is a good reason to do so. With that said, there are ways to lose custody of a child—even a mother can lose custody. 

How can a mother lose custody of her child in California? Let’s go over some of the issues that could cause a mother to lose custody of her child.

Issues That Could Cause a Mother to Lose Custody of a Child

So, what can a mother do that would make her lose custody of her kids? Obviously, the court cares most about the well-being of the child, so if a mother is doing anything that could cause harm to the child, physically or emotionally, the court will likely intervene. 

What behaviors could be harmful to a child? Here are some examples below: 

  • Drug or alcohol abuse issues
  • Domestic violence issues
  • A history of neglect toward the child
  • Child abandonment issues
  • Criminal behavior
  • Unemployment or general instability
  • Exposing a child to inappropriate behavior

The above are some examples. The court looks at each case on an individual basis. If you are worried about child custody issues, a lawyer might be able to help. Also keep in mind that a mother could lose custody temporarily, but could be able to gain custody back by improving her behavior.

Get in Touch with a Child Custody Lawyer

Now you have an answer to your question: How can a mother lose custody of her child in California? Child custody matters are almost always contentious, but it’s important to focus on what’s best for the child. Contact The Law Office of Laurence J. Brock to discuss your child custody case. Fill out the form below to reach our law firm or call 909-466-7661.

Start live chat with our team?