September 21, 2020

Fontana Father’s Rights Lawyer

Protecting your access to your children is one of the most important things you can do. To ensure that your parental rights are respected, work with a Fontana father’s rights lawyer.

As a father, you have parental rights that cannot be denied. Exercising these rights can sometimes be difficult, especially if you and the child’s mother don’t get along. When this happens, you have legal options available to you, and a Fontana father’s rights lawyer can help you determine what your best course of action is.

Unmarried Fathers and Parental Rights

If you were not married to the mother at the time that your child was born, the state will not automatically grant you parental rights. First, you must legally establish that you are in fact the parent.

Establishing parentage cannot be done through verbal acknowledgements or agreements. Instead, there is a substantial amount of legal documentation that will need to be completed, and the birth mother will need to sign these forms.

If she refuses, your family law attorney can help you bring the matter to court for a hearing. Once complete, you will then have all of the rights granted to a biological parent—including visitation rights.

Married Fathers and Parental Rights

If you were married to the mother when the child was born, your parental rights have already been legally established. If you divorce later on, you will need a Fontana father’s rights lawyer to represent you and ensure that your rights are protected in the divorce decree.

After a divorce, it will be possible for you to see your child as frequently as the mother does. Depending on the specifics of your case, you could be named the custodial parent or obtain an order of visitation.

Child Support

Your Fontana father’s rights lawyer can also assist you with child support issues. Life circumstances change, and a child support order that was once fair could now be impossible for you to meet. Alternatively, you might be the custodial parent and want to increase the amount of support you are receiving after your ex’s financial circumstances change.

You can have your support order altered in any of the following scenarios:

  • After being fired or laid off
  • After suffering a new disability
  • Receiving a reduction in hours
  • Having additional children
  • Your spouse remarries
  • Your spouse’s income level changes

Relocation and Preserving Your Parental Rights

The mother cannot move your child out of state without your permission, even if she is the custodial parent. Instead, she must submit a request for relocation to the court.

You will need a Fontana father’s rights lawyer to make a strong argument for why the child should remain in the state. Arguments should include how moving could be detrimental to the child and the need to preserve your relationship with him or her.

If the court agrees, the mother will not be allowed to move the child. If she relocates anyway, you are likely to be named the custodial parent.

Consult a Fontana Father’s Rights Attorney

If you are dealing with a situation that is infringing upon your parental rights, contact the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock to speak with an experienced Fontana father’s rights lawyer. To get started with a consultation, simply give us a call at 909-466-7661 or complete the contact form on this page.

Start live chat with our team?