Can a Mother Terminate a Father’s Parental Rights in California? 

Relationships and parenting can be tough, and sometimes questions of parentage come up. Who is the father? Is the father in the child’s life? If a mother wants to remarry, can she terminate the biological father’s rights? There are many questions that come up regarding a father’s rights. 

Yes, a mother can terminate a father’s rights in some situations. The termination of a parent’s rights is taken seriously by the court and is not done lightly. The interests of the children will always come first. If a mother petitions the court for the termination of a father’s rights, there must be good reason to do so.

For instance, if the father has disappeared and the whereabouts are unknown, the mother could petition for the father’s rights to be terminated so that someone else can adopt the child and raise them as their own.

What Are a Father’s Rights in California?

Fathers have certain rights in California, but they fall into different categories. If you are an alleged parent, you don’t have as many rights as the mother. You may have the right to be informed of hearings, but you don’t have rights regarding custody or reunification. You can rectify that status by requesting a paternity test.

Once you are a biological parent, you have more rights than an alleged parent has. You will have rights to petition for custody and reunification. Presumed parents have the most rights. These are the parents whose names are on a child’s birth certificate or who have been raising the child. They have the right to custody and reunification.

If you are unsure of your rights or you have further questions about a family legal problem, you can contact a family lawyer in Rancho Cucamonga.

How Can a Family Lawyer Help?

A family lawyer can analyze your legal issue to help you resolve it. If you’re a father trying to get custody of your kids, your lawyer can work to help you assert your rights. You may need to prove that you would be a good addition to your child’s life, and you may need to get a paternity test.

If you are a mother trying to terminate a father’s rights, you may have grounds to do so. A lawyer can help you understand your options.

Sometimes, parental rights can be terminated if there is good cause for doing so. Again, the best interests of the children always come first when it comes to terminating parental rights.

Get in Touch with a Rancho Cucamonga Family Lawyer

Legal family issues can get confusing, so it’s a good idea to talk to a family lawyer. If you have questions about a parent’s rights, reach out to a lawyer in Rancho Cucamonga to get answers. Your children’s best interests are taken seriously by the court. Learn your rights and options by reaching out to a lawyer at our firm.

The Law Office of Laurence J. Brock can be reached by dialing 909-466-7661 or by filling out the internet contact form below.

Start live chat with our team?