San Bernardino Postnuptial Agreement Lawyer
If you need help with a postnuptial agreement, call a San Bernardino lawyer from the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock today.
Most people have heard of a prenuptial agreement but are surprised to learn that something called a postnuptial agreement exists.
A postnuptial agreement is a legal document in which the couple agrees to certain divisions of assets and spousal payments in the event of a divorce—only this agreement is signed when a couple is already married.
Entering into an agreement to protect yourself after a divorce may seem like a strange thing to do at the beginning of a marriage, or even years into one, but there are actually many reasons to get a premarital or postmarital agreement.
A San Bernardino postnuptial agreement lawyer with the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock can answer your questions and help you prepare your postmarital agreement.
Why Sign a Postnuptial Agreement?
Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements are sometimes received with skepticism because people believe you shouldn’t enter a marriage “prepared for a divorce.” However, that kind of thinking oversimplifies the matter.
Today, people get married in all stages and phases of life, and they have significant reasons for wanting to protect their assets, even though that doesn’t mean they are assuming they will get a divorce.
For example, imagine that a couple gets married and both spouses are bringing children from previous relationships; the couple may want to establish inheritance for those children just to protect the children from any later relationship downfalls.
That’s one example, but here are some other reasons couples decide to get a postmarital agreement:
- If a spouse has been financially irresponsible, a postnuptial agreement can protect the other spouse’s assets.
- If one spouse gets a sudden increase in income, wins the lottery, or receives an inheritance, the couple may want to establish a division of assets so everything remains on even ground.
- If one spouse has agreed to stop working to stay home with the children, the spouse may wish for a postnuptial agreement as assurance that he or she will be financially protected in the event of a separation or divorce.
What’s Included in a Postnuptial Agreement?
Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements include the same types of provisions, and what is included will depend on your unique circumstances. Your attorney can help you decide what to include in your San Bernardino postnuptial agreement.
Here are some of the provisions commonly included in marital agreements:
- How property and assets will be divided between you and your spouse
- Whether you will pay or receive spousal support and for how long
- How any marital debts will be divided
- How certain assets will be passed along if one spouse dies during the marriage
Speak with a San Bernardino Postnuptial Agreement Attorney
We are experienced divorce and family lawyers, and we can apply our experience and compassion to your San Bernardino case.
If you are in need of a postmarital agreement, a San Bernardino postnuptial agreement lawyer from the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock can help. To schedule a free consultation, give us a call at 909-466-7661 or head to the bottom of the page to fill out our online contact form.