How to Modify a Child Custody Plan in California
Child custody is one of the most difficult issues to deal with when parents decide to go their separate ways. It’s going to be an emotional rollercoaster, and there’s not much you’ll be able to do to change that.
That being said, if you need to know how to modify a child custody plan in California, you’ve come to the right place. A qualified family law attorney can get your child custody plan changed to the best-case scenario for your situation.
Here are the basic steps to getting your child custody plan modified.
The Steps to Modifying Your Child Custody Plan in California
To get your parenting plan modified, you will need to demonstrate that there has been a change in your circumstances since the last parenting plan was made. You will have to show that a modification will be in the best interests of the child.
Consider the following steps:
- You will need to complete the appropriate forms.
- Ensure that a lawyer or mediator reviews the forms for accuracy.
- Make at least two copies of the forms—one for you and one for the other parent, and the original will be filed with the court.
- File the modification with the court.
- You will then receive a court or mediation date.
- Make sure the papers are served on the other parent.
- File the proof of service with the court.
- Attend the hearing.
Reach Out to a Rancho Cucamonga Family Lawyer Today
Now you understand how to modify a child custody plan in California. Next, you need to ensure that your interests are served by speaking with an experienced family lawyer. Contact the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock today to go over your case. You can reach an attorney by calling 909-466-7661 or by completing the online contact form below.