May 24, 2020

How Can a Father Get Sole Custody of His Child in California?

Both parents don’t always agree on the best way to raise their children, and sometimes one of the parents is not a good influence on the children. There could be domestic violence issues, substance abuse issues, or other matters that are affecting the well-being of the children. 

If you’re a father in California who feels like the mother is not a good caregiver, you might be wondering: How can a father get sole custody of his child in California? Below, we will go into more detail on when California family court would grant sole custody of children to a father.

When the Court Will Grant Sole Custody to One Parent

The court doesn’t like to take away custody of children without good cause. That’s because the belief today is that children are better adjusted when both parents are regularly in their children’s lives. However, there are a few ways in which a father could get sole custody of his child.

The Mother Is a Danger

If you can prove that the mother is a danger to the children or that her behavior would harm their overall well-being, you might be granted custody. For example, if there are issues of violence, neglect, or drug use, the court might side with you. You would need to document this behavior and present it to the court.


If the mother of the child abandons the child, then you could be awarded full custody. For example, if the mother leaves the state of California and doesn’t intend to come back for the child, the court could give you full custody. You would simply need to show that you’ve tried to contact the mother but to no avail, and then petition the court for custody.

Keep in mind that custody arrangements can be modified in the future if it’s determined the mother would no longer be harmful to the child or that it would be in the child’s best interests to have contact with the mother restored.

Get in Touch with a Child Custody Lawyer in California

Now you have a better understanding of how a father can gain sole custody of his child in California. To learn more about your options for obtaining child custody, contact a child custody lawyer at The Law Office of Laurence J. Brock. Call 909-466-7661 or fill out the contact form located at the bottom of this web page.

Start live chat with our team?