May 31, 2020

Ontario Paternity Lawyer

You may need to determine paternity for a number of legal reasons, and you’ll likely need help doing so. Contact an Ontario paternity attorney from the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock to get started on your paternity case.

Without a blood test, no father can be 100 percent sure that a child is his. If a couple is married and a child is born to the mother, the spouse is automatically held legally responsible for the child.

Many children are born outside of marriage, however, and establishing paternity can be important with regard to custody, child support, and parenting rights. Establishing paternity can be a complicated process, but help from an Ontario paternity lawyer at our firm can make it much easier.

Why a Father Would Want to Establish Paternity

No man can be held legally responsible for a child who is not his own, unless he has legally adopted the child or he’s married to the mother. Here are two scenarios in which a man may wish to establish paternity:

  • He believes the child is his, but the mother is denying his parental rights and not allowing him to see the child after he and the mother broke up or after the baby was born. He may want to establish paternity so he can have rights to the child, such as visitation, custody, and parenting rights.
  • He’s not married to the mother and believes the child may not be his, but the mother is insisting that he pay child support and care for the child. He decides to establish paternity because he doesn’t want to care for a child who isn’t his.

A paternity lawyer in Ontario can help you in the above scenarios and many others.

Why Would a Mother Wish to Determine Paternity?

A mother may want to determine paternity if she’s unmarried and the father is denying his parenting obligations. She may be in need of the financial support for her child. Establishing paternity will allow her to set up child support, and she can seek help from a paternity attorney in Ontario.

How Is Paternity Established in Ontario, California?

Paternity can be established at the hospital if non-married parents sign a Declaration of Paternity form. The form can also be signed at a later time, so long as it’s voluntary and witnessed by a public agency or notary public. After it’s signed, it will need to be filed with the court.

If no declaration has been signed, you can hire a paternity lawyer in Ontario and take the case to court. You will have to complete a lot of paperwork, including a Petition to Establish Parental Relationship. The court may issue a summons ordering the possible father to undergo a DNA test. If contested, the case could go to trial.

Talk to an Ontario Paternity Attorney

The process of taking a paternity case to trial gets complicated really quickly. Hiring an experienced lawyer to assist you with this process can make things move much more smoothly for you.

To speak with an Ontario paternity lawyer at the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock, fill out the online contact form at the bottom of this page or call 909-466-7661. Reach out to us today.

Start live chat with our team?