Ontario Domestic Violence Lawyer
Everyone deserves to live free from violence and abuse. If you need help getting away from your domestic abuser, contact an Ontario domestic violence attorney with the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock.
One of the most terrifying situations a person can endure is domestic violence. It’s not only an issue of physical pain and trauma coming from a person who’s supposed to love and cherish you, but it’s also a mental struggle of emotional abuse, financial issues, and overwhelming fear.
Many victims of domestic violence don’t know where to turn. They are financially tied to their abusers, they may share children, and they may not have the resources to escape. What they don’t know is that help is only a phone call away.
An Ontario domestic violence lawyer can help you separate yourself from the terror, emotional trauma, and physical violence that have been ruling your life.
How to Get a Restraining Order in Ontario
Family violence is more common than you may realize, but common doesn’t mean normal. One of the first steps in escaping from domestic abuse is filing a restraining order against your abuser. If you don’t know how to do this, a family violence attorney in Ontario can help you.
We can assist you with completing the paperwork, “serving”your abuser with the restraining order, and representing you during the hearing. The following are the steps to get a restraining order:
- Complete the appropriate court paperwork, in which you explain to the judge why you need a restraining order.
- The judge should award you a temporary restraining order, which usually lasts for twenty to twenty-five days.
- Serve the abuser. This doesn’t mean that you hand the abuser the paperwork; a process server can do this for you.
- Attend the court hearing, where your abuser will have a chance to tell his or her side of the story.
- The judge will rule on whether to grant the restraining order. If granted, the order is usually good for up to five years.
Divorce and Child Custody Issues Tied to Domestic Violence
Filing for divorce and dealing with child custody disputes is difficult even under the best of circumstances. It’s a thousand times harder when you’re divorcing an abusive spouse and you have children together.
You are likely worried about how your spouse will react to any contested property, and you are probably fearful of your spouse being awarded custody over your children. Working with an Ontario family violence attorney can relieve you of this stress. We can help you with the following:
- Restraining orders, including renewing restraining orders and making changes to existing orders
- Custody and visitation orders
- Court hearings and mediation
- All court paperwork
- Finding domestic violence resources in the Ontario, California, area
Speak with an Ontario Domestic Violence Attorney
Most domestic violence cases are not simple. You are dealing with someone who is very close to you—either a personal relative or a spouse or partner. You may be married and have children together. Separating from your abuser is no easy task. It’s not easy, but it’s not impossible, either.
An Ontario domestic violence lawyer can help you work out these intimidating issues. We can help you file a restraining order, file for divorce, and work out parenting and custody issues. Speak with the Law Office of Laurence J. Brock in an initial consultation by calling 909-466-7661 or completing the contact form below.